A new family member means uncountable moments of joy and endless love. But it also comes with lack of sleep, many cups of cold coffee, and constantly feeling in need of an extra arm or two. We’ve gathered a few tips for how a baby carrier can make your life as a new parent easier and how you get the most out of it.
Listen to the article:
1. Use a baby carrier both indoors and outdoors
This might sound a bit too obvious, but we can’t highlight the benefits of using a baby carrier enough. Carrying your baby means having your little one cuddled up in a safe place. At the same time, you have both hands free for household activities, hands-free shopping, walking the dog, or any other activities.
Besides the practical aspect, carrying your baby also means together time, lots of oxytocin (also known as “happiness hormone”) and even supports a healthy hip development.
2. Can I transfer my sleeping baby from carrier to bed without waking them?
Close to you is the safest place for your little one. No wonder that many babies get calm in an instant and tend to fall asleep when in a baby carrier. But is there a way of transferring your sleeping baby from the carrier to bed without waking them? Well, by following this little routine, you increase your chances of succeeding with what might feel like a mission impossible:
- Loosen the shoulder straps of your carrier and fold down its back panel while securing your baby towards your chest.
- Move your baby – still in an upright, slightly forward-leaning position – towards the bed. Make sure that the head is rather leaning forward – if the head tips backwards, your baby will wake in an instant.
- Let the feet of your baby touch the bed and slowly bring your child into a sitting position
- Bend the torso of your baby slightly to the side and forward (so that their arm touches the bed) and help your child roll over the side/shoulder into a supine position.
- Let your little one continue their slumber.
It’s important to give your child some time to settle in each of these positions. Think of this little routine as if you would lie down on the floor yourself. You would first have contact with your feet, then sit down, put your weight onto one arm, and roll back over the side. It’s as simple as this.
3. Use a Mesh carrier for more comfort during summer
You want to be active with your child – maybe do a small workout routine – or simply need a solution for the warmer months of the year? Then we recommend using a Mesh carrier. The BeSafe Haven™ baby carrier is available in an innovative 3D mesh fabric, which supports a great airflow and transports moisture away from your child.
Dress your baby in light and airy clothes if the weather is warm. An add-on sun canopy can protect your small one from harsh sun rays, but we recommend staying in the shadow if it’s really warm. Also, make sure to keep yourself and your baby hydrated!
4. Can I use a baby carrier during winter?
Can you carry your baby outside during winter? Absolutely! It might even be a good alternative to pushing a stroller through the snow. When using a baby carrier in cold temperatures, we recommend carrying your baby inside your coat. This is easily possible with a maternity coat, a coat that’s a bit larger than your regular size, or with a special pouch that can be zipped or buttoned onto the front of a coat.
Underneath the coat, it might be a good idea to use layers of clothing. Wool is a great material to use, as it helps to regulate baby’s temperature. Protect your little one’s head with a hood or knitted cap and check their temperature by feeling the neck regularly.
Note: Puffy clothing should be avoided, as it gets compressed in the carrier and thus not keeping the warmth so good.
5. Make sure you put the baby carrier on correctly for optimal comfort
We know some of you might think that reading the manual is boring but sometimes it can be very helpful. Baby carriers are very different and almost all of them have different instructions for how to put them on correctly. If you use the wrong settings, like wearing the waist belt too low, the comfort and safety might not be optimal. So have a quick look in the manual or look up an instruction video of your carrier online.
When using BeSafe Haven™ on the front, the shoulder straps should be crossed on the back. Check the user manual or the instruction videos on the BeSafe Haven™ product page for putting on your baby carrier correctly.